Sunday, June 15, 2008

Last stop of the day. Emporia Kansas

6 Presidents sat at this table.

In a quiet tree lined neighborhood of Emporia, not far from the campus of Emporia State University is the home of one of the important figures of late 19th and early 20th century. William Allen White, publisher of the Emporia Gazette.


A couple of Biographies:



http://www.emporia.com/waw/williamawhite.html


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Allen_White


I'd like to show you a nice outside picture of the house ,but can't, the batteries started going down on the camera.I can't show you the bed the 3 Presidents who spent the night in the house slept in,notably Theodore Roosevelt. Or the cheetah skin that Roosevelt gave White.That was on the second floor. The camera gave out on the first, oh well, It was the last stop of the day anyway.

It was a good start to my personal Kansas Tour. Next stop in a week or two. I did do a couple of dry runs I guess you'd say around town. The visits to the Train station and the Combat Air Museum are part of what gave me the seed for doing this, I'll cover those stops later. But it begins




No comments: