Monday, July 7, 2008

4th of July

I spent the noon hour on July 4th in Collins Park, a neighborhood in what I suppose would be called Central Topeka attending the World Famous (or soon to be) Collins Park July 4th Parade . The park is about 2 blocks long as for about 40 years the residents near the park have paraded around the park .Children in decorated wagons,old cars, several politicians made this one stop as Topeka erupts every July 4 in about a dozen similar parades. I could have been in College Hill,Potwin,Lake Sherwood.Elected office hopefuls could hit Sherwood at 9,Potwin at 10, then choose College Hill or Collins Park at 11.


This, I think was my favorite,a man on a trailer being lead around with a pick up truck playing the best of Sousa on the Keyboards.As I took this picture he was being filmed by a French Film doing a documentary.At first I thought the Film crews were local media.The boom mike trying to catch up with the ad hoc marching band at the start of the parade should have been a clue this wasn't just local media.










Of course what is any parade without a beauty queen, Miss Capital City.








Other that the Keyboard, this guy had to be my favorite.Dressed at Former President Richard Nixon.I noticed in reflection he was one of the few if any participants not throwing candy for kids.hmmm. Not a totally comment on Nixon, I read once when he lived in New Jersey he used to greet Trick or Treaters at the door in person, presumably not in the mask,but one can only hope,instead of candy he'd give out pens,replicas of the ones he'd use for Bill Signings. The man in the mask will have to work on the pens for next year...... I'm just sayin'

No comments: