Monday, July 21, 2008

Halstead -The Biggest Little City in Kansas

There is a specific reason I went to Halstead, but you'll have to get to that later. What I didn't expect and this shows I am a city boy is the way grain elevators of these towns tower of the plains as sentinels. Halstead has 3, but the first I saw was in Pauline, I'd seen it before we have a couple.

To a weary traveler the Grain elevators are beacons of the town on the road, whether they be Walton,Newton,Moundridge,McPherson,Bridgeport (I think, from checking the map)Soloman,Abilene,Salina,Hesston and yes here in Halstead.

Halstead is a beautiful little town 1,873, several parks rustic farms houses, you should be able to see 1 of them in the picture to the left raising up over the levee and the road leading into town.

http://www.halsteadkansas.com/

Halstead sits on the bank of the Little Arkansas River (R- Kansas) not (R- Kan-saw) like the rest of the world pronounces it. If you want to grab a bit to eat, there is a local owned pizziria which I am noticing a lot of small towns have, a bar, or subway.Subways seem to be every where. I remember a college friend telling me of a re occurring dream of all that was left after a nuclear war was the golden arches and societies believe they were places of religious services. If he had the dream today I think it would be Subways. After dinner I visited the Halstead Historical Society in the old train depot.

No comments: