Saturday, September 6, 2008

August and Beyond



Has it really been over a month since I wrote anything. It's been a busy month, The Olympics and back to back Political conventions. A thing or two didn't pan out, maybe in the fall I'm told.I did take in "Wheat stock V" a day long bluegrass festival in Topeka , held at a hotel on a hot Saturday afternoon, I think the first one was held in the park,outdoors in August. Moving it indoors was a wise choice. It was a fund raiser for the Jayhawk Theatre, which is in desperate need of repairs and refurbishing. If restored to original glory it would truly be one of the great movie palaces of days gone by.The possibilities are endless.


I didn't know this story until I read the flier,but it's believed that Gypsy Rose Lee started her career right here in Topeka and at the Jayhawk.


I made a short journey to Rossville,Kansas.Located maybe 15 miles North and west on US Highway 24, the Population is about 1,000,smaller that Wasilla ,Alaska by several thousand. The Baseball diamond is in the city park which has a shelter area,a swing and a slide and a new swimming pool. The wood grandstand was featured in the 1976 Bicentennial issue of Sports Illustrated. A creek runs through the western edge of the town and a walking bridge runs across it , in the distance you can see the train tracks and the highway before it.

No comments: